Even the strongest relationships are strained during the transition to parenthood. Lack of sleep, never ending housework and new fiscal concerns can lead to profound stress and a decline in marital satisfaction – all of which affect baby’s care. Not surprisingly, 69% of new parents experience conflict, disappointment and hurt feelings.
Counselling can prepare you for life with baby and helps you to be the best parenting team possible. In a relaxed and supportive environment, parents learn to strengthen their relationship and foster baby’s development during this challenging time. They build on what Dr. Gottman and colleagues found is the best predictor of marital adjustment after baby arrives: the quality of friendship in the marriage.
This counselling will equip pregnant and parenting couples to successfully prepare for the transition to parenthood.
You will learn to:
- strengthen your relationship and stay connected as a couple
- effectively manage stress and conflict
- recognize and respond to postpartum mood anxiety and adjustment issues and postpartum depression
- meet the psychological and emotional needs of a child
- keep both parents involved in parenting
If you are interested in this counselling, please email me